Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Week of May 21, 2012

1. "Same Boy You've Always Known"--The White Stripes, Glastonbury 2005 (live):
My brother-in-law loves Jack White and everything he touches.  Personally, I am not a huge White Stripes fan and typically listen to them in spurts.  As far as live albums go, this one is good.  NO SHAME.

2. "Break a Promise"--Guv'ner, Score! 20 Years of Merge Records, Volume 2: Phil Morrison:
A lesser known band from the 90s days at Merge Records, Guv'ner is a band that I would not know much about except for compilations like this one.  However, I do like this song, a solid 90s sounding indie song.  I have a about 3 or 4 of their songs thanks to different samplers and comps I have picked up. For the record, Phil Morrison is a film director who curated this particular CD for the Merge 20  year anniversary box set.  NO SHAME.

3. "A Magazine Called Sunset"--Wilco, More Like the Moon (EP):
This song is one that they played when I saw them live, and they blew my mind.  I tracked down every song from that setlist since that was the concert that turned me around on Wilco.  Still not a diehard fan but definitely dig and appreciate their songs.  NO SHAME.

4. "One Machine, One Long Fight"--Lou Barlow, Goodnight Unknown:
In the last 10 years, Lou has become one of my favorite songwriters.  Don't get me wrong. I have always loved the early Dinosaur Jr., and Sebadoh's Bakesale is one of my all-time favorite albums.  However, the way he has sustained his career with multiple projects has really impressed me.  This song is from his second "solo" album (solo in that it was released under his name rather than a band or project name).  The solo albums have a lighter touch and are not really about electric guitars. However, they demonstrate his range and solid songwriting.  It may not be his best song, but solid Lou. SHUFFLE GOLD!!

5. "Another Generation"--Fishbone, Fishbone:
Similar to the above, Fishbone, especially early Fishbone, is untouchable.  If you are not familiar with Fishbone, get on it.  Buy Truth and Soul right now, as well as this s/t EP as soon as possible.  Also, watch the recently released (on DVD and Netflix) documentary about the band, Everyday Sunshine.  Fishbone soldiers represent with SHUFFLE GOLD!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment