Saturday, June 2, 2012

Week of May 28, 2012

1. "Texas 10 West"--Bluetip, Dischord 101:
Awesome!  Bluetip was a Dischord band in the 90s that put out 3 full length albums.  This first album was the best, and this track was probably my second favorite on the album.  SHUFFLE GOLD!!

2. "Angelina"--Crooked Fingers, Survive and Advance, Merge Records Sampler, Volume 3:
If you are an Archers of Loaf fan, this band is Eric Bachmann's current project.  The music is very different than AOL, but I think all of their albums are solid.  This song is off of Red Devil Dawn and included on this Merge Records sampler.  NO SHAME.

3. "New Life in Old Mexico"--Robert Earl Keen, Walking Distance:
I would not classify this song as a classic Robert Earl song, but it is solid.  Robert Earl is going home and/or beer drinking music for me.  I don't think there are any major standouts from this album.  His live albums are great. NO SHAME.

4. "Ishitmayda"--Setora, ??:
Setora was a pop band in Uzbekistan that was pretty big when I was there around Y2K.  They are 3 women who sing pop/dance music.  This song is a bit of a mystery because I don't have all of the  names of their songs programmed in the ipod properly, hence the mystery about the album title.  You can search youtube and find some of their music.  I play this music when I do presentations about my experience working in that country and sometimes for nostalgia.  Beyond that, it is not my kind of music. MILD SHAME.

5. "Freed Pig"--Sebadoh, III:
This song is infamously about Lou Barlow's difficult relationship with J. Mascis. He talks about it as a good example of him venting about being kicked out of Dinosaur and him establishing himself as his own songwriter.  As mentioned before, I am a huge Lou fan. This song really holds up as classic 90s indie rock. At this point, we have the best of all worlds, as Lou plays solo; has reunited Sebadoh and is recording new music with them; and continues to play with Dinosaur Jr. since they reformed with the original 3 in 2005. SHUFFLE GOLD!!


No comments:

Post a Comment