Thursday, May 17, 2012

Week of May 14, 2012

1. "Still Take You Home"--Arctic Monkeys, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not:
Though I don't know many of the songs by name, I like this album.  I would not say I became a big fan, because I have not listened to anything else these guys have put out except for this first album from 2006.  Solid song and NO SHAME.

2. "Can I Sit Next To You Girl"--AC/DC, High Voltage:
Being a fan of AC/DC has always come down to one question for me, Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?  Even though the first album I  bought by them was Back in Black (on 8-track tape, btw), I have always preferred Bon Scott.  Back in Black was the exception for me. I never really liked much after that album.  That being said, this song appears to be a bit of a deep cut off of one of their earliest albums (the Australia only version was their debut album).  It features Bon Scott, of course, but doesn't do a lot for me.  However, NO SHAME.

3. "Charlie Don't Surf"--The Clash, Sandinista:
I just found this double-cd used about 6 months ago.  It was a hole in the catalog.  I'm a huge Clash fan but found this collection of 36 songs to be pretty hit or miss, which I think is a standard take on this album.  However, this song hits for me.  It's free and easy Clash, and I dig it.  SHUFFLE GOLD!!

4.  "4 Out Of 5"--Soul Coughing, Irresistible Bliss:
As I have stated before, I prefer Mike Doughty's more recent solo work over the Soul Coughing.  Except for a few songs here and there, I find that the Soul Coughing songs just don't hold up over time.  They were distinctive in the 90s with what I call a "looping effect" in their song writing and interesting rhythm section.  Not bad but a little grating if not in the right mood.  MEH.

5. "Senseless"--Pure, Ballard:
Pure was a 3-piece North Carolina band who put out one 7" in 1991 on Merge Records. This is the lead single from that 7".  The song has a textbook early 90s, indie rock sound.  NO SHAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment