Friday, November 4, 2011

Week of November 7, 2011

1. "Chemistry"--Rush, Signals:
Like most folks my age, I became a Rush fan with the release of Moving Pictures, when I was in 7th grade. So, Signals is the first album by Rush that I paid attention to when it came out. I got it on cassette for Christmas and listened to it A LOT. Throughout high school, my holy trinity was Rush, Van Halen, and Triumph, so Rush gets the first SHUFFLE GOLD! of the 3.

2. "And the Android"--Gut, Seek Sound Shelter:
Big shout-out to my longtime friend and brother-in-law Todd. He and our friend Rob put out some music as Dot-Zit Records in the early to mid 90s. This was their compilation of Texas punk/hardcore bands at that time. Gut was a group of awesome kids from Bryan, TX. They ended up in Austin and made some great music and were fun as hell live. Not my favorite song by them, but definitely NO SHAME.

3. "Soon"--Firehose, If'n:
Another one from Firehose's If'n album. I got on board with Firehose with their later albums. I'm not real familiar with this song but NO SHAME, because Firehose is always awesome.

4. "The Confession"--Roger Wallace, It's About Time:
Roger Wallace is a country singer/songwriter from TN who lives in Austin. I saw him at an in-store performance at Waterloo Records in Austin thanks to my friend Danny. He plays a more traditional style of country and has a great voice. Unfortunately, this song is more of a story-telling--more talking than singing-- and not terribly interesting to me. MEH

5. "I Don't Know Anything"--Hoodoo Gurus, Magnum Cum Louder:
This was the only album I bought by the Hoodoo Gurus. They were a solid rock band from Australia who had some great songs on college radio. I saw them live once, and they were great.
NO SHAME

No comments:

Post a Comment