Friday, November 25, 2011

Week of November 28, 2011

1. "Uncloudy Day"--Willie Nelson, The Essential Willie Nelson:
There was an issue of Texas Monthly a couple of years ago that argued that Willie Nelson is the most beloved Texan (see amazing cover here). No matter politics, geography, other allegiance, Texans love Willie. I feel like I was raised on Willie Nelson's music. This is a solid Willie song but not one of my go-to songs. NO SHAME.

2. "Consolation Prize"--Gordon Withers, Jawbox on Cello: A Benefit for Cal Robbins:
I wrote about this album in a previous post. This Jawbox song is off of their first album, Grippe, released by Dischord Records. Solid song. Solid cello version. NO SHAME.

3. "Strip My Mind"--Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stadium Arcadium:
From 88-92, the Red Hot Chili Peppers were one of my favorite bands. I saw them live several times and thought they were doing some interesting things musically. After hitting big with "Under the Bridge" and getting huge national recognition, I lost some interest. Because of my loyalty, I still feel compelled to buy their albums but have not heard much since Californication that maintains my attention. I maybe listened to this album once all the way through. This song blends with a lot of their music from the last several albums. I prefer the band's earlier, heavier approach to the Anthony Kiedis ballad singing. Needless to say, I don't think they are so interesting anymore. MEH.

4. "Let's Hear it for the Boys"--Deniece Williams, Footloose Soundtrack:
Shuffle Shame has finally happened! I constantly mocked my sister for over-playing this soundtrack when we were kids. The movie was fun once but the recent remake seemed completely ridiculous. I guess I have this soundtrack for the Hagar song?? Poppy, soundtrack, radio poop. Not for me. SHUFFLE KILLER!

No comments:

Post a Comment