Saturday, November 19, 2011

Week of November 21, 2011

1. "Only Son"--Liz Phair, Whitechocolatespaceegg:
In her heyday, Liz Phair was my wife's rock n roll hero. I really liked her first couple of albums. This album was her 3rd and her last solid effort in my opinion--right before she "jumped the shark," some would say. Her approach to making music and perceptions of her as an innovative songwriter changed after this album. This song is fine, and despite cries of Phair being a "sellout" later in her career, I feel NO SHAME.

2. "No Blue Skies"--Lloyd Cole, Lloyd Cole:
I first heard Lloyd Cole in my college radio dj-ing days. I'm not sure how I got a hold of this album, but it is the one that I remember. It is not my bag. MEH.

3. "Darling I Need You"--Bad Brains, God of Love:
After one of their longer hiatuses without lead singer H.R., this was the first full length album with the original lineup since 1989. I have not listened to this album much at all. When I need my Bad Brains fix, I go to the earlier albums. Not a fan of their politics but love their early stuff and their place in pioneering DC hardcore. A good song, NO SHAME.

4. "The Last Remaining Light"--Audioslave, Audioslave:
Audioslave may be the first "super group" to make an appearance on this blog. This was the debut album of Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) singing with the Rage Against the Machine band. When it came out, I thought it had some promise. This was the only recording of theirs that I bought. There are a few strong songs on this album, but "The Last Remaining Light" is not one of them. A bit too plodding for my taste. MEH.

5. "Big Brown Eyes"--Old 97's, Too Far to Care:
Being from Texas, I suppose it is obligatory for me to have some Old 97's in my catalog. They are a band that I should listen to more but haven't taken the time. It seems to me that this is a band that I would need to see live to get fully connected. That is essentially what it took for me to appreciate Wilco and some other country/alt country artists. Anyway, not a bad song. NO SHAME.




No comments:

Post a Comment