Friday, November 11, 2011

Week of November 14, 2011

1. "Why Me Lord?"--Johnny Cash, American Recordings:
I respect Johnny Cash and have these albums because they were important at the end of his career when he started working with Rick Rubin. As much as I appreciate his legacy and importance, I have to be in the right mood to listen to him. I don't think I have ever gotten all the way through this album. So, with all due respect, MEH.

2. "Heads Down"--Farewell Bend, ?? (from mix made by a friend):
I have absolutely no idea who this band is. The song sounds pretty good. My friend Jason made this mix for me. He and I have quite a bit of musical taste overlap. I'm sure I listened to this song at least one other time, when I first received the mix. Based on this listen, I will say obscure but NO SHAME.

3. "Motorist"--Gordon Withers, Jawbox on Cello: A Benefit for Cal Robbins:
Gordon Withers is a cellist who clearly loves DC hardcore. Jawbox was a Dischord band in the 90s. Withers covered Jawbox songs for this album as a benefit for J. Robbins's (singer, guitarist of Jawbox) son Cal who has a rare condition, Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). Withers and J. Robbins are now in a band together, Office of Future Plans, which has a new album coming out on Dischord in about a week. Motorist is a great song, and Withers does cool stuff with his cello version. NO SHAME.

4. "Bad"--U2, The Unforgettable Fire:
As noted in a previous entry, The Unforgettable Fire is my favorite U2 album. This was one of the singles off the album and reminds me of high school in a good way. Definitely a strong enough single to warrant SHUFFLE GOLD!

5. "Steady, As She Goes"--The Raconteurs, Broken Boy Soldiers:
The Raconteurs were Jack White's first side project from the White Stripes. This is literally the only song off of this album that I know or have any desire to listen to. I am not a huge Jack White fan, but I dig this song. NO SHAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment