Saturday, October 29, 2011

Week of October 31, 2011

1. "Slip"--Quicksand, Slip:
Quicksand was an awesome New York hardcore band. They were often compared to Helmet at the time. Quicksand introduced me to Walter Schreifels, previously of Gorilla Biscuits and currently of Rival Schools. He is a songwriter that I have followed ever since. This song is the title track off of Quicksand's first full length. I had this album on tape and played it regularly in the car when I was in grad school the first time, in 1993. Definitely one of the strongest tracks on the album and one that I continue to listen to. 3 weeks in, I am happy to label this song as the first example of SHUFFLE GOLD!

2. "Commerce, TX"--Ben Kweller, Sha Sha:
BK is a great singer/songwriter from TX. This song is one of the best off of his first solo, full-length. Since my friend Mark went to school in Commerce, I played this song for him to convince him of BK's greatness. Solid single and definitely NO SHAME.

3. "Eat for Two"--10,000 Maniacs, Blind Man's Zoo:
I saw the 10,000 Maniacs on this tour in the late 80s. This was my favorite single from this album. I discovered this band right after I became a huge R.E.M. fan in 1987. Because Michael Stipe sang on their In My Tribe album, I bought it and became a fan. Natalie Merchant was iconic when I was in college, so I have great memories of this band. NO SHAME.

4. "Stop Whispering"--Radiohead, Pablo Honey:
I am definitely a fan of Radiohead but could not get on board with this album. At the time, "Creep" was the only song that got any attention, and it was overplayed, in my opinion. Later albums got my attention, Ok Computer in particular. I don't know this song, but I tend to be a completer with bands that I like, so NO SHAME.

5. "Puzzle"--Lou Barlow, Emoh:
On my scale of heroic songwriters, Lou Barlow is up there. I am a huge Dinosaur Jr. fan, Sebadoh's Bakesale is one of my favorite albums, and his recent solo work as been amazing. This was his first solo album released on Merge Records, and this song was one of my favorite tracks off that album. Definitely another example of SHUFFLE GOLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment