Sunday, September 23, 2012

Week of September 24, 2012

1. "Delirious"--Prince, 1999 (1982):
As a teenager who gravitated mostly toward hard rock, I could not deny the power of Prince when this album came out.  I was fascinated by him.  I eventually saw him live, and he is an amazing live performer.  Not as big as the big singles on this album but still a great song. SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

2. "Blank Expression"--Samiam, Samiam (1990):
A pop punk band that was peers with the likes of Green Day, NOFX, et. al., these guys never broke very big.  I love this album. It was their debut record and is solid all the way through.  A good song but not one of the best from the album.  SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

3. "Chem Trails"--No Age, Everything in Between (2010):
A relatively recent find for me.  I discovered them via Bob Mould. He is a big fan and speaks of them in a lot of his interviews.  He played with them live a few times and always champions their music.  They are a two-piece.  I only own this album and find it to be hit or miss.  This song is one of the better ones. SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

4. Rend It-- Fugazi, Fugazi Live Series, Volume 9: Detroit, Michigan, 9-4-93:
I have been on a Fugazi bender the last week, so this song hits the shuffle at the perfect time.  I just re-watched Instrument (for the 5th or 6th time??), the documentary on the band that I had on VHS and recently purchased on DVD.  Still one of the best bands that I have ever seen live.  These live albums capture them well.  SHUFFLE GOLD!!

5. "The Back of Love"--Echo & the Bunnymen, Killing Moon: The Best of Echo & the Bunnymen (2007):
I picked up this awesome, 2-disc set last year in a used bin.  I was never a big enough fan to own any of their albums, but this best of was a perfect find for me.  This song is a good example of one that I wish I had heard originally.  It may have made me a bigger fan.  Great song and SHUFFLE GOLD!!



No comments:

Post a Comment