Monday, September 3, 2012

Week of September 3, 2012

1. "Anyway"--The Lemonheads, Lick (1989):
Lick was the first Lemonheads album that I ever heard.  When I was in college, I DJ'ed at the radio station and played their music there.  This song is a solid track on the album, but I do not think it is one of Evan Dando's songs.  I believe the singer of this song, Ben Deily, left after this album.  SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

2. "Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong"--Radiohead, My Iron Lung (1994):
This EP was released before The Bends, which is my favorite Radiohead album.  I do not know this song at all.  I can see how it might be a bridge into that next album but it is not fully realized for me.  MEH.

3. "Communion"--Boy Wonder, Your Progress Our Destruction (1994):
I think this is the first DotZit Records release to make it on the blog.  My two good friends, Todd and Rob, started this label to put out some Texas punk rock.  This album was a 12 inch split vinyl between Boy Wonder and another Texas band called Gut.  Boy Wonder was great live.  I am still in touch with Jud, the singer/guitarist of this three piece.  They played maybe a year or two after this split album came out, and it was great while it lasted.  SHUFFLE GOLD!!

4. "East Harlem"--Beirut, The Rip Tide (2011):
My good friend Chase hooked me up with this band.  They are an indie band from Santa Fe, NM and seem to have gotten a lot of attention in the indie music world when this album came out.  I honestly have not given it enough listens to judge.  In general, it may be background music for me. For now, until I can get some more listens, MEH.

5. "Rock With You"--Michael Jackson, Off The Wall (1979):
I owned this album on 8-track tape when I was a kid.  I believe I still have it somewhere.  I loved this album, which was before the MJ explosion (and weirdness) that happened after Thriller.  I will always love the songs off of this album.  It was a big part of my early, eclectic music collection and sat in my giant 8-track tape carrying case along with AC/DC, Kenny Rogers, and Pink Floyd. SHUFFLE GOLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment