Monday, April 23, 2012

Week of April 23, 2012

1. "When I'm Sixty -Four"--The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band:
As stated before, I am not much of a Beatles fan, but this song is one that I consistently enjoy.  If asked, I would probably say that I prefer John's songs. However, the reality is that I tend to like Paul's songs more, and this song is a great example.  NO SHAME.

2. "You Are the Everything"--R.E.M., Green:
While R.E.M. had some radio play with Life's Rich Pageant, Fables of the Reconstruction, and Document, this album had the breakthrough radio hit with "Stand."  This song is a deeper cut with the mandolin driving the song.  I always liked the lyrics to this song.  I was a huge R.E.M. fan already when this album came out and saw them live twice on this particular tour.  Great stuff.  NO SHAME.

3. "Hypo-Boxing"--Beatnik Filmstars, SCORE! 20 Years of Merge Records, Vol. 11, Kara Walker:
I have mentioned this box set a couple of times here.  I don't know this song and don't care for it.  Still love the box set but MEH.

4. "True to Form"--Knapsack, Silver Sweepstakes:
Very formulaic, pop punk from the mid-90s.  Knapsack was on Alias records, and I have two of their albums.  The songs run together a bit, so I never got a handle on individual songs.  Still sounds great to me.  NO SHAME.

5. "Effect & Cause"--The White Stripes, Icky Thump:
I always liked the idea and the general sound of the White Stripes more than really getting hooked on any specific songs.  I own several of their albums but never feel compelled to listen.  I have listened to one of their albums all the way through maybe a handful of times.  I appreciate Jack White's talent but never fully bought in.  Basically, I don't remember ever hearing this song, but it seems fine.NO SHAME.


No comments:

Post a Comment