Friday, April 13, 2012

Week of April 16, 2012

1. "The Gavial"--Shudder to Think, High Art Soundtrack:
Shudder to Think was a great band in the late 80s and 90s with their best releases on Dischord Records. Craig Wedren, the lead singer, dabbled a bit in scoring movies including this soundtrack for the movie High Art. It was an independent art house film--an Ally Sheedy 90s comeback--and was decent. This song is instrumental music for the movie and doesn't play very well standing alone. Not really what one would typically associate with the band Shudder to Think. MEH.

2. "The Wind Cries Mary"--The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced?
When it comes to 60s rock, this is it for me. I probably don't listen to Jimi enough, but when he comes up on the shuffle, it has to be SHUFFLE GOLD!!

3. "When Love Comes to Town"--U2, Rattle and Hum:
The scene in the movie for Rattle and Hum where Bono is reading his lyrics to BB King marked the end of U2 for me. He was so earnest and impassioned, reading his lyrics with absolutely no humility to one of the true legends of rock music. He took himself so seriously in that scene that I no longer could. MEH.

4. "Personal Property"--Def Leppard, Adrenalize:
As stated in this blog many times before, I loved me some 80s rock. The problem, of course, is that Adrenalize came out in 1992, and I was done with it. I don't really know anything about this album and have never heard this song before. MEH.

5. "Green Fuz (Randy Alvey & Green Fuz)"--The Lemonheads, Varshons:
Evan Dando put out this album of covers in 2009. Some of them came off pretty well. This one doesn't do much for me. I don't know the original and just gave it a quick listen. It is labeled as 60s "garage trash" and has a little bit more of an edge than the cover here, but still not my bag. MEH.

No comments:

Post a Comment