Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Week of April 2, 2012

SKIP: From one of those custom kid's casettes with your child's name in all the songs. It was cute when he was 2. He's almost 10, so kind of weird now. Again, I need to get this off of the ipod.

1. "Everything is Everything"--Face to Face, Don't Turn Away:
Taking me all the way back to Spring Break 1993! A group of us took a road trip/pilgrimage to Graceland. This album was on heavy rotation on that trip. Face to Face got a little bit of popularity in the wake of the Green Day/pop punk national explosion. I never really listened to any of their other albums except this one. Nostalgic SHUFFLE GOLD!

2. "Please Please Me"--The Beatles, Please Please Me:
At the risk of alienating the rest of the pop/rock music obsessed world, I have never appreciated the Beatles. They disbanded when I was a kid and were never part of my world. Obviously, the songs are ubiquitous, and I grew up with them on the radio. This song is not one that I know much about but it sounds like an earlier one. A friend passed on all their music to me so that I could have it. Ultimately, I dislike that in any conversation about good music, the Beatles are a conversation killer, as if no band can ever live up to them. No interest but NO SHAME.

3. "Pet Rock"--Small, Chin Music:
Small, AKA Small 23, were a North Carolina band in the early 90s. Eric Bachman of Archers of Loaf and Crooked Fingers played with them in the very early days. This album was my introduction to them, and I love it. I bought all their albums after hearing this one. I don't know too many other people who know who they are, but I really liked them in the 90s. Good stuff and SHUFFLE GOLD.

4. "Oodles of O's"--De La Soul, De La Soul is Dead:
This song was one of my favorites off of the second De La Soul album. This album reminds me of driving with my friend Chris to our friend's lake house in 1990/1991. Great times and solid De La. NO SHAME.

5. "Palace of the Brine"--Pixies, Trompe Le Mond:
The end of the Pixies. Though they tour like crazy now in reunion mode, they have not put out a studio album since this one. I loved this record, because I loved all things Pixies back then. This song is solid but not the best on the album. NO SHAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment