Friday, March 23, 2012

Week of March 26, 2012

1. "Mountains of Your Head"--Buffalo Tom, Let Me Come Over:
I was a pretty big fan of Buffalo Tom. I discovered them as a d.j. at the college radio station. The song "Birdbrain" received heavy rotation on my show. It was off of their second album, which was produced by J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. They fit in with the other Boston-based rock bands that I was into during college (i.e. the Lemonheads, Dinosaur, the Cavedogs, and Blake Babies). I like this album a lot, and this is a solid cut off of the album. Though not one of their "big" songs, this song in particular and Buffalo Tom in general are worthy of SHUFFLE GOLD!!

2. "Best of Both Worlds"--Van Halen, Live, Right Here Right Now:
There has definitely been a Van Halen revival in my house of late. The new album and tour with DLR have me pretty cranked up. Off of the first album with Hagar, this song was a favorite at the time. This live version reminds me of the 4 or 5 times that I saw them live with Hagar. You know this is SHUFFLE GOLD!!

3. "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker"--Husker Du, The Living End:
Wow! This shuffle is shaping up nicely. I was never a huge Ramones fan, but I know the hits. I love this live cover by Husker Du. This album, in particular, is a great sampling of Husker Du songs and is a good purchase if you need some HD. First time we have had 3 in a row: SHUFFLE GOLD!!

4. "Holding Back the Years"--Simply Red, The Essentials:
Well, that is quite a shift. I did not enjoy the Simply Red when they were relevant or getting any airplay. I have to admit that I have come to appreciate the songs and Mick Hucknall's voice. I do not listen to them much at all, but I do like this song--just kind of a buzz kill after those first 3. NO SHAME.

5. "Driveway to Driveway"--Superchunk, Foolish:
It may be years before this particular shuffle is topped. In case I have not mentioned it before, Superchunk is my absolute favorite band of all time, and I don't think they have made a shuffle appearance yet. VH and Superchunk in one shuffle . . . Needless to say, I am beside myself with joy right now. This song is one of their classics. SHUFFLE GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps a new category? Platinum Shuffle? Although that sounds like one of those Time Magazine 50s music compilations.

    RQ

    ReplyDelete