Sunday, March 18, 2012

Week of March 19, 2012

1. "The Words"--Lungfish, Necrophones:
Lungfish is a Dischord Records staple. They were very prolific and were great live. The best quote about Lungfish is in the booklet from the Dischord 20-year box set: "Critics have complained that Lungfish seem to only play one song over and over, but those in the know say this: 'yeah, but what an incredible song!'" NO SHAME.

2. "Glueman"--Fugazi, Live Series, Volume 7, Ft. Lauderdale, FL:
The perfect follow up to Lungfish is always Fugazi. Another from the live series. "Glueman" is, without question, SHUFFLE GOLD!!

3. "Fix Up, Look Sharp"--Dizzee Rascal, Matador at 21 [Disc 4]:
I love my box sets, but that means I often get stuff on the ipod that is a complete mystery. Wikipedia tells me this is an English rapper. He is blending lots of different styles here, including a pretty sweet sample of Billy Squier, which I can definitely get on board with. However, the song is mostly annoying. MILD SHAME.

4. "Mod Lang"--Big Star, Live:
I got into Big Star because of the Replacements' song "Alex Chilton." I bought this album since it served as a sort of greatest hits. I like almost all of the songs. When "That 70s Show" became a big deal and were using a Big Star song for the opening credits, I felt pretty cool that I already had some Big Star in the catalog. NO SHAME.

A great way to end the shuffle this week. Besides is Sugar's b-sides and previously unreleased album. This solo mix would be familiar to anyone who has ever seen Bob live when he is doing a solo set. This song is originally off of Copper Blue and, like most songs on that album, is SHUFFLE GOLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment