Friday, March 2, 2012

Week of March 5, 2012

1. "Hot Hot Hot"--The Cure, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me:
In high school, I was NOT a fan of the Cure. It was too soft and too weird. My freshman year in college I started opening up to different music, and this album was one of my gateways. It had just come out, and "Just Like Heaven" was all over the place. I could not resist that song and bought the cassette. I remember laying on my bed in my dorm and reading the lyrics while listening from start to finish. Even though this song was one of the singles off of the album that received some radio play, it was not one of my favorites. But any song off of this album definitely takes me back to that beginning. NO SHAME.

2. "Sight, Flight"--Wye Oak, The Knot:
Wye Oak has been on my radar for a few years since they are on Merge Records, a label that I follow religiously. However, I did not lock into this duo from Baltimore until last year's album Civilian. The Knot is the previous album and their sophomore release from 2009. I just bought it recently and have only given it a few listens. This song is one of the more familiar, so it must have gotten my attention. Good stuff that will get more listens. NO SHAME.

3. "Free to Go"--Dwight Yoakam, Tomorrow's Sounds Today:
I associate Dwight Yoakam with the last of the old-style country singers. I have a decent amount of his music but don't listen to it very often. I don't know this song or album very well. The next road trip to Texas may require some more Yoakam on heavy rotation. NO SHAME.

4. "Heart Attack Man"--The Beastie Boys, Ill Communication:
Old School hardcore from the Beasties getting back to their roots. SHUFFLE GOLD!!

SKIP: I have GOT to get this Cal Ripken, Jr. book on tape off of my ipod!

5. "Zak and Sara"--Ben Folds, Ben Folds Live:
One of my top 5 favorite Ben Folds songs. Great Folds storytelling and great live version. SHUFFLE GOLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment