Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Week of December 26, 2011

SKIP: 2 Weeks in a row with a skip. This week it is a 30 second "song" from my son's toddler music class. He's not a toddler any more. This "album" was put on my ipod about 8 years ago and really has no business being on it at this point.

1. "Tear"--Red Hot Chili Peppers, By The Way:
All the wrong RHCP songs keep coming up on these shuffles. This song is about as boring as they come. As stated before, this album was the end for me. I liked Californication for the most part, but have not been able to feel connected to any of their music since. Maybe a song here or there. MEH.

2. "Fat"--Archers of Loaf, Icky Mettle:
So psyched that this song came up. I have been in the midst of a full AOL revival lately. Archers of Loaf were an under the radar 90s band. I owned Icky Mettle when it came out but did not listen to it enough. A couple of months ago they did a reissue of this awesome album on Merge Records. The band did a little bit of touring in 2011 and played on Jimmy Fallon for their t.v. debut. SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

3. "I Just Want the Girl in the Blue Dress to Keep On Dancin"--Mike Doughty, Golden Delicious:
Mike Doughty was the lead singer/guitarist for Soul Coughing. I liked some Soul Coughing in the 90s but mostly listened to them because my friend is a big fan. However, I have really liked Doughty's solo albums. This was the last one that I bought. His solo work is a bit more straight forward, singer/songwriter than the Soul Coughing stuff. Good song. SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

4. "In a Simple Rhyme"--Van Halen, Women and Children First:
It is difficult to overstate how huge of a Van Halen fan I was when I was in high school. They were my first concert (1984 tour). I can name just about every song within the first 10 seconds of it playing. I own Van Halen III on CD and enjoyed it. Need I say more. I have never gotten too much into the singer debate. It's always been about Eddie for me. I have honestly lost some interest, since they have not put out any new music in forever. Needless to say, I am anxious to hear the new album in 2012. Not the song I hoped would debut for the band on here, but definitely SHUFFLE GOLD!!

SKIP: You have got to be kidding me. 2 skips in one session. I was given Cal Ripken Jr.'s book on CD and put it on the ipod for a long road trip. This was chapter 3b. Probably need to pull this off the ipod as well.

5. "Helpless"--Sugar, Besides Live
Great way to end this week's blog. I have been a Bob Mould fan for a long, long time. I still buy his music and actually just got a live solo album of his for Christmas. Sugar is, by far, my favorite work of his. Copper Blue is one of my all time favorite albums. "Helpless" is a great song, and this live version is solid. SHUFFLE GOLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment