Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy New Year: Week of January 2, 2012

1. "I Don't Know Why"--Ben Kweller, Ben Kweller:
This album was in heavy rotation for me when it came out in 2006. I saw him on this tour, and he was strong live. He has a new album coming out this year, in February. This is a solid song from the album. NO SHAME.

2. "Treefingers"--Radiohead, Kid A:
This album came out while I was living overseas. I prefer the more straightforward Radiohead songs over the moodier, soundscape, experimental noise. This song is one of the latter, one of the slow-burners that works as a transition on the album but does not work on a shuffle. MEH.

3. "Heads Will Roll"--Echo & the Bunnymen, Killing Moon: The Best of Echo and the Bunnymen:
Another song from this recent purchase. I had not heard this song before buying this double-cd a couple of months back. It is a solid song, though not as strong as the better known songs. NO SHAME.

4. "Zanzibar"--Billy Joel, 52nd Street:
I saw Billy Joel live in 1987. He was an incredible live performer. I tend to be a "best of" Billy Joel fan. This is one of the deeper cuts on 52nd street, and one with which I am not familiar. Wikipedia tells me the trumpet solo is from Freddie Hubbard (my friend Mark will have to help me with this one). This song seems to support the description of 52nd Street as more "jazzy." Not familiar with the song, but I wouldn't skip it. NO SHAME.

5. "Salad Days"--Minor Threat, Minor Threat: Complete Discography:
I came to Minor Threat after Fugazi, in other words, after they were long gone. This song is fine but not one I would seek out. NO SHAME.

1 comment: