Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Week of December 12, 2011

1. "Can You Keep A Secret"--De La Soul, 3 Feet High and Rising:
De La Soul is the first hip hop band that I really loved. This song is off of their first album, which is when I began listening to them. For me, their appeal was that they could write fun, party songs as well as socially conscious ones. NO SHAME.

2. "It's My Life"--Talk Talk, The Very Best of Talk Talk:
Mark Hollis has an awesome voice! Unique and powerful. This song is one of my favorites by Talk Talk. They were a band that I heard on the radio some in high school in the 80s but did not really appreciate or enjoy until I was in my 20s, after they broke up. NO SHAME.

3. "Debonair"--The Afghan Whigs, Gentleman:
I consider this song to be an essential 90s indie rock anthem. Gentleman is the album that brought the Afghan Whigs to my attention. I like their first album as well but would not qualify myself as a huge fan. However, this song is a staple for the time period and would make any 90s playlist that I would put together. SHUFFLE GOLD!

4. "The View"--Modest Mouse, Good News for People Who Love Bad News:
This song is one of the better ones on this album. This album brought Modest Mouse a lot of attention. In some ways it put them on the map. However, their more straightforward approach on Lonesome Crowded West is more my taste. I have enjoyed the later albums, just not as much as the earlier. NO SHAME.

5. "Little Room"--the White Stripes, White Blood Cells:
This song feels like a filler, running less than a minute long. This was the first White Stripes album that I heard (probably like a lot of people). Like most of their music it is hit or miss for me. MEH.

No comments:

Post a Comment