Monday, October 24, 2011

Week of October 24, 2011

1. "That Buckin' Song"--Robert Earl Keen, Walking Distance:
I like a lot of Robert Earl Keen's music. I have a soft spot for him since he is a fellow alum of my alma mater. His sense of humor often works in his music, but this song and the obvious, bad play on words is too corny for me. Just say the F-word, dude. MEH

2. "In Memory of Elizabeth"--Firehose, If'n:
Unfortunately too often confused with hair-rockers firehouse, Firehose is the 90's indie band made up of 2/3 of the Minutemen. They were a great live band, and Mike Watt is always solid. Though this song is a bit on the mellower side and does not do much for me, I feel NO SHAME.

3. "Promenade"--U2, The Unforgettable Fire:
Reminding me of my cassette listening days, this was the side A closer off of my favorite U2 album. Not a strong enough single to be shuffle gold, but absolutely NO SHAME.

4. "Jellyman Kelly"--James Taylor and The Kids, Songs from the Street: 35 Years of Music:
I am not a JT fan, but this song is fun to sing with the kids and is on an awesome compilation of music from Sesame Street. Though for my kids, this box set has tons of great music from great artists being accompanied by your favorite muppets, puppets, and happy PBS kids. Even JT elicits NO SHAME.

5. "Emancipated Minor"--Ani DiFranco, Red Letter Year:
I have seen Ani DiFranco live about 4 times over the past 15 years. She was always great live. I am not as familiar with her more recent albums, including this one. The song is pretty good. I need to give this album some more listens. NO SHAME

No comments:

Post a Comment