Monday, October 17, 2011

Week of October 17, 2011

1. "The Nurse (Live)"--The White Stripes, Glastonbury 2005:
I have never been a huge fan of the White Stripes and do not know this song very well. Of all of the "THE" bands from the early 2000s, The White Stripes were the most consistent until their recent breakup. NO SHAME.

2. "Nature"--India Arie, Acoustic Soul:
Arie's debut album was my wife's find in 2001 when we returned from overseas. I would not have known this song by name, but the album was in heavy rotation at that time. I like her later stuff, but this album seems the most solid. NO SHAME.

3. "Johnny, Are You Queer?"--Josie Cotton, Valley Girl Soundtrack:
Definitely got this song from my friend Mark. An awesome 80s movie that I have seen many, many times. The song is only good for reminding me of the movie and captures the era for quirky pop. MILD SHAME (not a shuffle killer)

4. "Time"--Ben Folds, Songs for Silverman:
Not my favorite Folds album, but I have been a fan since the Ben Folds Five days. Not a song that I would dial up on my own, but NO SHAME.

5. "Screaming at a Wall"--Minor Threat, Minor Threat: Complete Discography:
I came to Minor Threat via Fugazi. I am a big Ian MacKaye fan and am always happy when Minor Threat comes up on the shuffle. I was not into punk in high school in the mid-80s, so Fugazi was more my time. However, Minor Threat definitely defined the DC hardcore scene well, and this disc was a key part of my education for the 80s punk/hardcore that I missed. NO SHAME

No comments:

Post a Comment