Thursday, January 9, 2014

Shuffling into 2014

1. "Some Small History"--Portastatic, Some Small History [Disc 2] (2008):
Portastatic is Mac McCaughan's side project when he is not fronting Superchunk or helping run Merge Records.  This 2-disc compilation contains the b-sides and rare tunes that did not make any of the studio albums from 1990-2007.  This song is the title track of the compilation and a solid Mac tune.  Portastatic is definitely a  bit broader in range than Superchunk. Though Mac's voice is distinctive, Portastatic songs are clearly not Superchunk songs.  SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

2. "Last Ride In"--Green Day, Nimrod (1996):
I am definitely a Green Day fan going back to their album Kerplunk! and seeing them live in small venues with just a few hundred people.  Of all the bands that I saw in small clubs, they rose to the greatest heights.  I don't know this album as well and this instrumental tune doesn't do much for me. Green Day has potential for real gold but this one is just a MEH.

3. "Milk and Honey"--Wye Oak, The Knot (2009):
Wye Oak is a two-piece band on Merge Records.  This song has appeared on some Merge samplers.  Jenn Wasner's voice has an amazing quality.  They have a big sound for two people. This song is a bit slow and not a favorite.  I would highly recommend checking out their more recent album Civilian.  SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

4. "Skinny Sweaty Man"--Red Hot Chili Peppers, Uplift Party Plan (1987):
Here is another band that I got to see in some smaller venues before they blew up.  If you only know the Red Hot Chili Peppers from their radio hits, you need to go back in their catalog.  This album was the last for Hillel Slovak, the original guitarist.  Unfortunately, he died of a heroin overdose on this tour. They were definitely less polished and more juvenile, but this record is excellent.  It may be my bias, but their songs seemed more distinct on their earlier records. I think they have become formulaic but am still a fan.  SHUFFLE GOLD!!

5. "California Roll"--Times New Viking, Dancer Equired! (2011):
Described as lo-fi and sometimes as "noise rock," this album on Merge Records has been the band's most accessible.  I think it was one of the most under-rated albums of 2011 as it is solid from start to finish.  SHUFFLE GOODNESS.


2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you, Blake, my man.

    One question I've been meaning to ask: Are there any Merge Records artists whose music you don't like?

    Oh and did you score The Clash's Sound System for Christmas? Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey HERC,
      There are definitely some Merge artists that don't do much for me. Some have maybe shown up on the shuffle via the Merge box set or a sampler. However, this shuffle just happened to hit on a couple that I dig. Speaking of Merge, I scored their 25 year single subscription instead of the Clash box set. However, Sound System is still on my list. I may have to pull the trigger on that one myself. Thanks for reading.

      Delete