Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Couple of WTF Moments on this Shuffle

1. "Indigo Eyes"--Peter Murphy, Love Hysteria (1988):
I accidentally saw Peter Murphy on this tour.  He opened for the Church on their Starfish tour.  I had no idea who he was. There were tons of kids there with Bauhaus t-shirts on who were clearly there for him.  I was still catching up on a lot of music that I missed when I was focused on 80s rock, so I got a quick lesson from a friend who was at the show with me.  It's fair to say that Murphy blew the Church off the stage.  To be honest, it was not a great pairing.  Murphy has a strong stage presence. As good as the Church are, they did not bring the same energy.  I became a fan of Murphy's solo work and got a little bit into Bauhaus.  This song is easily the best on this album and is definitely SHUFFLE GOLD!!

2. "Lectric"--Film School, Hideout (2007):
I may have to create a new rating for "WTF is this?"  The most common question about this blog is "how can you have music on your ipod that you don't like?" So, here is my chance to answer.  I do select what I put on my ipod manually but tend to do so in broad strokes. I have always been more of an album person, so I tend to put whole albums on my ipod, which explains why there may be songs that I don't necessarily like on the ipod because they are by bands that I like.  I also like to listen to new music in the car, so I put music on the ipod that I don't necessarily know and then may not ever pull it off.  In a case like this one, I can only guess that this song was on a mix CD that I received from a friend as I don't know the band or the song.  It is the only song that I have by this band and it is not doing much for me.  I am certainly not ashamed or embarrassed to have this song, but don't see any reason to keep it on my ipod. MEH.

3. "Incense and Candies"--Prince, 3121 (2006):
I'm a huge Prince fan. I saw him live on the Lovesexy tour.  He was incredible and was still a big deal at the time.  This album is one of his more recent. I missed a lot of the albums in between.  I have maybe listened to this album all the way through once.  I suppose if I am going to forgive anyone for experimenting with auto-tune it would be Prince, but this song has too much of it.  It's not a bad song, but the auto-tune ruins it for me. MEH.

4. "Harlem House"--Booker T. Jones, The Road from Memphis (2011):
I am sad to say I just learned about Booker T. Jones. Luckily my obsession with listening to Marc Maron's podcast, WTF, paid off.  Maron recently interviewed Booker T., and I was amazed with how humble this extremely accomplished and influential musician is.  If I try to list his credits here, I will do him a major disservice.  I will just say start with Stax Records house band.  Once I started listening to some of the Booker T. and the MGs' songs, I recognized them. This album is his recent collaboration with the Roots. He also just put out another album this passed year called Sound the Alarm that is on my list. Go listen to Booker T.'s music and get your hands on some of his interviews. He is amazing!! SHUFFLE GOLD!!

5. "Bewitched"--Luna, Bewitched (1994):
I am not a huge Luna fan but love this album.  They should have been right in my wheelhouse, but since I was never a Galaxy 500 fan, I did not pick up on Luna either.  However, a few years ago I read Dean Wareham's memoir.  That book is the single best music memoir I have read. I am not sure why it struck such a chord with me, but Wareham is honest and self-effacing while still hanging onto his ego.  Maybe I was more objective since I did not know the music, but I highly recommend the book. Since reading it, I have definitely grown to appreciate his music, though I would not count myself as a huge fan.  SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta admit, the title of the post had me worried but once I got into it, I could hear what you were talking about.

    As I do with most music blogs, I pull up the tracks on Spotify when available and listen as I read. (You are kind enough to provide YouTube links but I'm a creature of habit.)

    And as someone who has asked you the question you so graciously answered abut how music you may not like ends up on an iPod you maintain, I now have a better understanding of Blake's process. I used to be like that, dropping entire albums and even artist discographies onto the iPod for a week or two at a time and then weeding out the tracks that weren't really worth a second listen. After a couple of years, I evolved into a system of screening the music before it even goes into the digital library which means I only get the really good stuff on my iPod Touch and now my iPhone and iPad Air.

    For what it's worth, we are of the same mind on every song this time around and even Marc Maron's WTF podcast and Dean Wareham's Black Postcards. SHUFFLE GOLD!

    ReplyDelete