Friday, January 17, 2014

Entering the Twitterverse! (Follow @blakeshuffblog)

1. "Achin To Be"--The Replacements, Don't Tell A Soul (1989):
I believe this was the second single off of this album and was a big hit in the dorm when it would come on "120 Minutes" in the t.v. lounge. The album took a lot of heat from old school Mats' fans but I like a lot of the songs on this one.  While a bit more straight forward rock, I think Westerberg's songwriting is still solid here.  To be fair, I was just getting on board with the Replacements at this point so at the time I was not comparing it to earlier stuff.  I really love this song and it reminds me of a girl I had a crush on at one point.  She was a bit like the woman described in the song.  SHUFFLE GOLD!!

2.  "Fat"--Archers of Loaf, Icky Mettle (1993):
You can't go wrong with this album, the band's studio debut.  This one is on the short side, running just a little over a minute, but it brings the AOL sound.  Originally on Alias Records, the album was reissued on Merge a couple of years ago.  Great stuff start to finish and pure SHUFFLE GOLD!!

3. "Apache Rose Peacock"--Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blook Sugar Sex Magik (1991):
This album broke the RHCPs wide open with "Under the Bridge" in heavy rotation on radio stations and Mtv. Rick Rubin worked his magic, and the band has never looked back.  At the time, I was a huge fan and enjoyed the new direction.  As suggested in earlier posts, I feel like the band became a bit more formulaic from this point forward. I'm still a fan, and this song is definitely SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

4. "Backroads"--fIREHOSE, If'n (1987):
I got on board a bit late with fIREHOSE.  I did not hear this album until much later. They were a great live band and carried on beautifully from where the Minutemen left off (Watch We Jam Econo if you have not!!).  I saw the band live in 1992. I actually left an earth day festival concert in Dallas, missing the headlining Pearl Jam, in order to drive back to my college town for the fIREHOSE show.  Even though the Dallas festival show is considered epic in Pearl Jam lore, I had already seen them before and had never seen fIREHOSE. For me, it was the right choice. A slower jam, but still SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

5. "The Nurse"--the White Stripes, Glastonbury 2005 [live] (2005):
I'm pretty sure I got this live recording from my brother in law. He is a huge fan of all things Jack White.  Like many live recordings, this one is hit or miss.  This song does not resonate with me in this recording.  I dig their studio albums and would love to see him live at some point (I think I've missed the boat on the band) but this song would not necessarily be on my list. MEH.

4 comments:

  1. Boldly going where only 230 million have gone before! (But why Blake's Huff Blog?)

    Hopefully this will mean more frequent posting - something tells me we haven't begun to scratch the surface of your multi-facted collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So SERIOUS!!!

    Sorry I was messin' with ya. Probably should have used emoticons.
    I'll try to be serious from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! wasn't sure if you were making a huffing joke or not, so i played it safe. thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete