Saturday, March 28, 2015

Resurrecting the Blog



1. "I Don't Know" -- The Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty (1998):
As close to a ballad as you will get from the Beastie Boys, this song is definitely a deep cut on their fifth studio album. I love that I am bringing the blog back with this particular song since Adam Yauch sings it.  He was not featured enough when the blog honored him when he passed away. Miho Hatori from Cibo Matto adds a lot to the song with her backing vocals.SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

2. "Blood, Sex, and Booze" -- Green Day, Warning (2000):
The sixth studio album by Green Day came out while I was overseas so I missed any of its fanfare. I like the album, though, and this song is solid.  My favorite song off of the album is actually "Waiting," so this one will do as SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

3. "Good Morning Beautiful" -- The The, Mind Bomb (1989):
This album introduced me to The The and Matt Johnson.  This opening track struck  me as I was just beginning to pay attention to lyrics with social commentary.  This album is greatly under-rated, in my opinion. I was a college radio DJ at the time, and the album received a lot of attention in that world because Johnny Marr was joining the band.  Marr also toured with them, and I was able to attend the show in Austin.  Since I love telling this story, I cannot avoid name-dropping here.  I actually attended the show with a good friend from college and his childhood friend, Wes Anderson. Of course, this was before his career in film so I guess it does not count as a brush with fame.  This album is still my favorite from Matt Johnson, and I highly recommend it.  SHUFFLE GOLD! 

4. "Eyes on the Prize" -- M. Ward, Post-War (2006):
M. Ward is best known now for his work with Zooey Deschanel and She & Him.  While that is great work, his solo albums are much better for me.  Post-War is a great place to start with M. Ward's catalog. He has a very distinct guitar-playing style and voice.  SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

5. "Red Hood Came Home" -- Buke and Gase (formerly Buke and Gass), Riposte (2010):
I "discovered" Buke and Gase via NPR's Tiny Desk Concert Series.  These two folks make a huge sound with their voices and home-made instruments.  They both play hybrid instruments that Aron Sanchez makes. He plays the gass (guitar/bass).  She, Arone Dyer, plays the buke (a six-string former-baritone ukulele) and has a great voice.  Seeing them play live on NPR's video series had me sold.  They are definitely unique, but I highly recommend them. I would love to see them live but have not had the opportunity.  This album is their debut and a great place to start.  SHUFFLE GOLD!

1 comment:

  1. Your reappearance after more than a year has brightened an already sunny Spring Day.

    Thanks for the tip on Buke and Gase. Looking them up now.

    Welcome Back. I'm sure you've only added to your library in the past year. Sharing is caring.

    And see you next year. (I kid, of course.)

    ReplyDelete