Monday, March 17, 2014

Some British and Australians, but no Irish on this St. Patrick's Day Shuffle (maybe Doughty is Irish)

1. "Mr. Bitterness"--Soul Coughing, Ruby Vroom (1994):
I am a much bigger fan of Mike Doughty's solo work than I am of Soul Coughing. Based on the stories he tells in his memoir, I think he would be fine with that take. This album was their debut, and there are some good tunes on here. I like "Janine" best. To be honest, I don't remember this song at all, and it is not doing a lot for me at the moment. MEH.

2. "Tenderness"--General Public, Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of The 80s, Vol 14. (1995):
When I was actually living in the 80s, I was a hard rockin' teenager, so General Public was not in my wheelhouse. This compilation serves nostalgic purposes for guys like me who ultimately had to acknowledge that these were good songs. This song was one of the group's top 40 hits and was featured in a couple of John Hughes movies, so I ultimately gave in. I would not say that all the songs on these compilations are my bag, but I do dig this one. SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

3. "Glass"--Joy Division, Heart and Soul [Disc 3] (2001):
This box set is awesome! I will admit that I like the story of Joy Division better than I like most of their songs. The two movies (the documentary and biopic) that came out in 2007 really fed my fire, so my friend Rogelio hooked me up with this box set. The bass lines are always amazing, and this song is no exception. SHUFFLE GOODNESS.

4. "Return"--The Cure, Wild Mood Swings (1996):
From their 10th studio album, this song is pretty standard Robert Smith, pop goodness.  He worked in a lot of horns on this one. The album is considered one of the least well-received Cure albums, and I think that is with good reason. Most of the supporting players had left after Wish.  I love a lot of Cure albums but just do not know this one very well.  This song is upbeat but not one I would ever choose to listen to. MEH.

5. "Out that Door"--Hoodoo Gurus, Blow Your Cool! (1987):
The opening track on this Australian band's 3rd album is one of the strongest on the album.  I'm surprised it was not one of the singles.  The Hoodoo Gurus consistently had at least 3 standout tracks on each of their albums. I saw them live in 1991, and they were great!  They played the set they wanted to play and then just took requests from the audience for the last quarter of the show.  It was excellent!  If you do not know this band, this song is a great entry. SHUFFLE GOLD!!


1 comment:

  1. No new music to these ears this time around and we seem to agree on the song ratings as well: if I had "Mr. Bitterness" or "Return" come up on shuffle, I would most certainly skip them. And delete them at first oppurtunity.

    ReplyDelete