Friday, February 17, 2012

Week of February 20, 2012

1. "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights go out on Broadway)"--Billy Joel, Songs in the Attic:
First ever repeat! Check it out here.

2. "The Angels' Share"--Ted Leo and The Pharmacists, Shake the Sheets:

Awesome! One of my favorite Ted Leo songs off of my favorite Ted Leo album. This album was recommended by a friend from Peace Corps. After returning stateside, we were sharing music finds with each other, and Ted Leo was the best to come out of that exchange. I have been a huge fan ever since and own most of his catalog at this point. I generally dig his politics as well. I saw him live once, and he was solid. Without a doubt, SHUFFLE GOLD!!

3. "Shut the Door"--Fugazi, Repeater + 3 Songs:
While the other Fugazi songs that have come up on the blog to this point have been good, this song is a bit more representative of my love for the band. I actually borrowed Repeater from my friend Deb when it first came out and gave it a listen. I suppose I wasn't ready for it. I didn't dislike it, but it did not stick at the time. About 2 years later, after the release of Steady Diet of Nothing, I sought out the rest of the Fugazi catalog. A great song, a great album, and definitely SHUFFLE GOLD!!

4. "Katatonic"--Los Dynamite, Greatest Hits:
My friend Rogelio turned me on to Los Dynamite. They have a full-on 80s vibe going on, ala Franz Ferdinand. In particular, the bass lines are awesome. They are from Mexico City and are solid. NO SHAME.

5. "I Wanna Know Girls"--Portastatic, Some Small History:
Portastatic is Mac McCaughan's solo project when he is not the front man for Superchunk. I'm a huge fan of Mac's songwriting and dig most of the Portastatic. This song is off of the album Bright Ideas, but is an acoustic version on this b-side and unreleased 2-disc compilation. It is one of my favorite Portastatic songs and served me well while waiting for a new Superchunk album. SHUFFLE GOLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment