Friday, February 10, 2012

Week of February 13, 2012

1. "Looking For A Way Out"--Uncle Tupelo, Still Feel Gone:
As mentioned before, I liked some Uncle Tupelo. I was never a huge fan. This song is clearly one of Jay Farrar's songs. Even though I have become a fan of Wilco, I always preferred Farrar's voice and songs to Tweedy's. NO SHAME.

2. "2000 Light Years Away"--Green Day, Foot in Mouth (live):
One of the first songs that I heard by Green Day. I love the early stuff and became a fan of theirs before they hit it big. I saw them multiple times in clubs. They were awesome live, and this album captures it pretty well. I am still a fan. A great song, the opener of Kerplunk, and definitely SHUFFLE GOLD!!

3. "Wasteland"--Artificial Peace, 20 Years of Dischord (Disc 1):
I love box sets, and this box set celebrated Dischord Record's 20th birthday. I have no particular memory of this song. It sounds like pretty standard D.C. hardcore. I've read about Artificial Peace but only know their music from compilations like these. MEH.

4. "Sameday"--J. Mascis & The Fog, More Light:
J. Mascis & The Fog was the Mascis vehicle between essentially being Dinosaur Jr. with hired help and reforming the original band with Murph and Lou Barlow. I believe there are a couple of Fog albums, but I only own this one. This album came out while I was overseas, so I was not aware of this venture until he was about done with it. It is pretty standard Mascis fare. I like it, but it is not Dinosaur. NO SHAME.

5. "Boston"--Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend:
I have listened to this album a handful of times. It is hit or miss for me. They kind of have a minimalist ska thing going--kind of ska without any real edge to it. They work in some strings on this song, and he does some pretty singing. I find that I keep coming back for more listens, but can't fully decide if I am a fan. Until I can figure it out, NO SHAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment