Saturday, January 28, 2012

Week of January 30, 2012

1. "More Cigarettes"--The Replacements, Sorry Ma, I forgot to take out the trash:
Admittedly, I did not get on board with the Replacements until their last 2 albums. However, I became a pretty big fan. One of my live show highlights was seeing Paul Westerberg solo in Austin. He played 30 songs! (half from the Replacements catalog). He did not play this one, but it's a good song from an early Replacements album. NO SHAME.

2. "She's a Jar"--Wilco, Summerteeth:
Wilco was an acquired taste for me. I liked some of the Uncle Tupelo, but basically followed Son Volt after their breakup. My friend Doug forced me to consider the awesomeness of Yankee Fox Trot Hotel, which helped, but I was not fully on board until seeing them live for the Sky Blue Sky tour. They were amazing live. I picked up the rest of their catalog after that. All that being said, I'm not very familiar with this particular album, and this song is not doing a lot for me. Actually, this song is a good example of why it took me so long to get into the band. MEH.

3. "It's all in the Movies"--Merle Haggard, Legendary Hits (disc 1):
I love Merle Haggard insofar as he reminds me of my dad. This was his music when I was growing up. Merle's voice brings that back (along with Waylon and Willie and the boys). Not a huge fan of the country ballad, so MEH.

4. "Shaktar Donetsk"--Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, Global A Go-Go:
With the breakup of the Clash, throughout the late 80s and 90s I listened to more Big Audio Dynamite than any of Strummer's solo stuff. The Mescaleros was one of his later projects, and I have come to it late, but ultimately I think it will hold up better over time than the B.A.D. I have only given this particular album multiple listens and need to pick up the others, but it is solid. NO SHAME.

5. "House of Suffering"--Bad Brains, The Youth Are Getting Restless:
As far as live albums go, this one is a winner. If you need to own some Bad Brains, this live album would serve as an awesome greatest hits. A solid song, but not necessarily a favorite. NO SHAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment